Technological University Dublin is the first technological university in Ireland and the largest higher education institution in the country with 28,500 students. This represents approximately 13% of the students in higher education in Ireland. It is unique among higher education institutions in Ireland in that it provides educational programme from EQF Level 5 to Level 8. TU Dublin combines academic quality with career focus in its educational programmes with the aim of making a valuable contribution to technological, economic, social and cultural progress. It also values engaging with and within the community.
In TU Dublin programmes are offered in the areas of humanities, social sciences, law, languages, natural sciences, including environmental and food sciences, engineering, tourism and hospitality management, business, media, marketing, architecture, construction and technology.
Past and present
Although the Technological University Dublin was only created on 1st January, 2019 when the Dublin Institute of Technology, Institute of Technology, Tallaght and Institute of Technology Blanchardstown amalgamated, the constituent colleges from which it was formed have an older history.
On 1st January 1993 Dublin Institute of Technology became an autonomous institution of higher education in Ireland with the power to award its own degrees. It was formed from the merger of six colleges based across north and south Dublin city. Dublin Institute of Technology can trace its origins back to 1887, when one of the constituent colleges, College of Technology, Kevin Street), opened. The other five colleges were the College of Music (opened originally in 1890), the College of Commerce (opened originally in 1901), the College of Marketing and Design (opened originally in 1905), the College of Technology, Bolton Street (opened originally in 1911) and the College of Catering (opened originally in 1941). The vision of these colleges was to respond to the changes in technology and therefore to provide education that was relevant to the needs of all sectors of society. This vision continued in Dublin Institute of Technology and now in Technological University Dublin.
The Institute of Technology Blanchardstown was first established in 1999, to meet the increased need for a higher educational institution in North West Dublin. The Institute of Technology Tallaght, based in South West Dublin was established as Tallaght Regional Technological College in 1992. The campuses of Blanchardstown and Tallaght will be retained.
Currently programmes are delivered on many campuses across the city of Dublin but they will be consolidated on one campus in Grangegorman, located on the north side of the city in the future. TU Dublin Grangegorman campus not only will be designed to provide modern, innovative and student centred learning facilities but also to create a new urban quarter for the city of Dublin, providing a range of amenities for the local community.
Dr. Kevin Lalor
Mail: Room BR105, Bradogue, TU Dublin, Grangegorman, Dublin 7.